Quinoa with Black Beans and Avocado Burritos

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

This recipe came in my email a few days ago and I had thought about it ever since so I had asked my husband to pick up some avocado on his way home from surfing so I could make it. I had all the other ingredients already and this was the final piece. One thing I didn't use was coconut oil (which is in the original recipe) because I didn't have any on hand and forgot to ask my husband to pick some up.

This was a really easy recipe to put together and made quite a bit of food. I ended up making it a burrito filling and added some chicken that I cooked in the skillet alongside for a very full meal. It was so good that my hubby and I both ate 2 burritos. My little guy who is a good eater had a little bowl full of it and enjoyed it so much that it was all over his face by the time he was done.

Quinoa with Black Beans and Avocado
  • 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 large onion (the recipe asked for white but I only had yellow so that's what I used)
  • 10 button mushrooms, diced
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
  • 2 small avocados, peeled and diced
  • 2 tbsp lime juice
  • salt to taste
  1. Start by cooking the quinoa. I followed the directions on the bag (1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water and cooked for 15 minutes)
  2. Dice the onions and mushrooms and cook over medium heat until lightly browned and all the moisture is cooked out of the mushrooms.
  3. One the quinoa is done fluff it with a fork and then add it and the black beans to the pan with the mushrooms and onions. Stir to combine and heat through.
  4. Add 2 tbsp lime juice and reduce heat to low.
  5. Stir in sliced cherry or grape tomatoes and avocado and season to taste with salt.
  6. Then place however much you want in your tortilla, place cooked chicken on top, fold and eat burrito.
Click here for the original recipe

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Yummie Tummie Recipes Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino